Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Last night I happened to bump into the nightwatchman of the mission and noticed that he was carrying a very large bow as well as several arrows. Unfortunately, my Oshiwambo is not quite good enough yet to have asked him why he was carrying these items around, but I have to guess that they are for any wrongdoers - I definitely wouldn't want to be caught getting up to no good with those weapons around! I suppose that a bow and arrow is probably more efficient than the worn-out old rifles that people carry around here!

On another note, the teachers here are unbelieveable. They work so hard. My principal was saying the other day that there is no rest for an Ovambo person. For example, several of my colleagues are working part-time teaching jobs on top of their full-time position at this school, as well as pursuing some additional degree/certificate and this may all be on top of raising a baby as a single parent. For the holidays, the number one activity for teachers at my school will be working in the fields.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home