Wednesday, March 29, 2006

There are only 2 weeks left in the term. My goodness! I almost feel like a veteran teacher (ha, not really). I have written the English exams and today I managed to staple about half of them together (about 150 exams of 6 pages). Logistics and resources for getting things done is definitely something I think a lot about now. Photocopying in other jobs was something I took for granted - especially photocopiers that also had the staple function!! But here, it becomes a different matter entirely.

With 2 weeks left in the term, I have finally reached the point where I can truthfully say that I am comfortable teaching all my classes. I can also honestly say that I am now enjoying all of my classes! My two grade 8 classes can be particularly sweet. Such as yesterday. I walked into class and asked if anyone else was feeling tired (it was a hot, hot day). "Nooooo, Miss! But we will sing you a song so that you do not feel tired!" And so they did. They really love singing - it's such a big part of their lives too. I have to say, I did feel much more invigorated afterwards!

Speaking of grade 8, while I was teaching one of the grade 8 classes the day before, part of the roof fell in on top of the other class next door. Luckily no one was injured. However, the student and teacher reactions were incredible. We moved all the kids out, cleaned up the debris a bit, and then everyone just carried on teaching as usual! No talk about the poor condition of the building or anything!

On an entirely different note, I have organised a staff vs. student soccer match for tomorrow afternoon, and everyone (staff and students) seems really excited about it, myself included! It's the first time the school has ever had such an event and I am really hoping that it turns out well. I will make sure to take some pictures!

Another piece of news is that I have established an Oshiwambo-French exchange with some of my colleagues! A few of the other teachers have been asking me to teach them French for a while now, and so each day I try to teach them different words and phrases. However, I decided to do this only on the condition that they reciprocate with Oshiwambo - I am now really trying to make a concerted effort to learn the language. We'll see how far I come in 9 months time!

Last note. The principal decided to suddenly order all female students (12-20 years old) to shave their heads. He thinks that girls waste too much time playing with their hair. I can't imagine how girls would react to this news back in Ireland or the States. I felt so bad for the girls today as they are really, understandably, upset by this new regulation. They have until Monday to comply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home