Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Well, Ted has asked about the snake situation out here. Funnily enough, I was also quite interested in the snake situation myself during pre-departure preparations! As such, I emailed some past volunteers to get the low down. I was pretty dismayed to learn that black mambas, spitting cobras and puff adders were to be among my new neighbours here at the Mission. Aiiyy! I swiftly entered what became known as my "snake phase" of pre-departure preparations - a gripping phobia that I would die from some snake's venom while in Northern Namibia!

However, now that I'm actually here, all of this has become more of a "c'est la vie" attitude. Yes, dangerous snakes are spotted and (sometimes) killed from time to time on the Mission grounds, but I have yet to come across a live one myself. That being said, however, last week I did come across a dead snake (not sure what kind, will look it up in a book later) in the middle of a trail in Pete's village, and also spotted a shed snake skin hanging out of a termite mound (photos of both to follow later!). I do get a little nervous when I go running, but in reality the snakes will mostly likely be more scared of me and will not seek an encounter. Although, I figure that black mambas are so badass that they're not really scared of anything. Well, at least the sparse vegetation is an advantage in this situation - hopefully I'll spot a long black snake before it spots me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

yeah, hmm. We have this one deadly snake here called the mamushi. I played with a dying one once and then ate it with this Japanese grandpa. The thing that sucks about this snake is that it blengs in with the vegetation here (which there is tons of) and it's really small but it can acutally kill. So I know how you feel... We'll keep our eyes open! But how about those crazy water snails Pete mentioned...? They don't really...

It's raining bucket loads tonight here on Kyushu. I hope the weather stays nice where you guys are. Reading your blogs sometimes almost makes me feel I am there! So cool.

Lates, Tedo

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aggghhhh! snakes sinead! be careful! i like the fact that in ireland the scariest and most dangerous animals are probably the angry neighbours next door! don't have to worry about snakes here.

nic x

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home