Tuesday, February 07, 2006

So my very lovely weekend with friends was unfortunately rounded off with a bout of food poisoning on Sunday night! However, less than 24 hours later I was feeling a million times better and today I am back teaching.

Music: There is a CD player in the car, but unfortunately neither Pete nor I thought to bring any CDs along with us! However, our friend Kate very kindly burned me the Garden State soundtrack as well as some songs by the Postal Service for my birthday. So, if you ever want to imagine me driving along the dirt roads out here, you can also imagine the Garden State CD playing in the background (except when it's too bumpy and the CD skips)! That, or some Namibian radio station, which more likely than not will be playing the hit song of the summer over here, "Baby Don't Go" by the Namibian artist The Dogg! Funny how there seems to be a successful formula for pop songs the world over - a catchy riff plus simple and repetitive lyrics. Using the word "baby" a lot also seems to work.

Books: I haven't been reading as much as I thought I would, but so far I have managed to read One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton, and Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. I am currently in the middle of a collection of modern African short stories and Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

Dear Sinead, food poisoning! That sounds awful. I had a bad bout of something like that not too long ago. Bejeeezes, it was rough and a lot of vomit at that! Good thing we are both out of that! Give Pete a hug for me (and tell him to give one to you for me as well!!). I'll have to store up a lot of hugs for you guys when we next see each other! That won't be too hard though.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh, your blog is like really cool


- your secret admirer

2:39 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

more Hugs!!
Let me know what other CDs you want and I'll send you a bunch as a B-day present (Eagles for sure!). What's your address again?

My life is crazy right now.... When it settles down I'll tell you more.

Keep your chin up m'dear. There is nothing you are missing here in the US.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hun,

so sorry to hear you had food poisoning!! i hope you're feeling better now. Food poisoning is awful! Especially when you don't have home comforts! The Garden state soundtrack is cool, i love it. By the way, who's your secret admirer?? Hehe! Say hi to Pete for me! Take care petal.

love nic x

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chicken,

Glad eveything is going well for you out there (apart from monster size lizards and food poisoning) I think you're so brave doing exactly what you want to do (it must run in your family...) be careful but most of all be your happy self.

big hugs

Mother Hen

x

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home