Monday, March 13, 2006

I spent 5 and a half hours this past Saturday morning cooking for an event at my school. I can now proudly say that I know how to kill, pluck, gut, behead and de-claw a chicken. I don't think I will ever be putting this into practice though - I remain a vegetarian, much to the dismay of my colleagues.

As you can see from the picture of the pots, we began the morning by trying to cook 6 things at once. Unfortunately the power couldn't take this, and we were quickly left without electricity. Panic set in. Then 2 burners began to work. I wondered how we would ever get anything done.

But then the Indian Sisters very kindly allowed us to use their kitchen and we eventually began cooking in earnest. The meal consisted of chicken and meat cooked in a traditional way, potatoes, pasta (a big favourite here, especially served with jam), rice, traditional millet beer, ombivi (traditional spinach) and oshifima (traditional porridge that is very thick and that you eat with your hands). Delicious!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home