Friday, January 20, 2006

My first week of teaching is over! I am teaching English to grades 8 and 11, and also computer studies to grade 11. In addition, after school I am working on the school newsletter and helping out with athletics. I am still running most days, and I hope that eventually I will get some of my students to join me. (The exercise helps keep me sane and also helps me to acclimatise to my surroundings!)

I am definitely exhausted and overwhelmed after the first week. Teaching is TIRING! I guess that's probably just because it was my first week! My students are really smart, which is good, but it also means that I have to be on the ball and plan lessons that challenge them! However, there is definitely quite a large discrepancy between the learners' abilities.

Also, I think that my students were testing me at the beginning of this week, but I am hoping that I passed because by today it seemed as though we were all a lot more comfortable with each other! Unfortunately, learning their names is proving extremely difficult - I have about 140 students...But all in all, a good first week - the students seem motivated, and one of my short-term goals is to set up a drama club and put on a play at the end of term.

It's my birthday this weekend, so right now I am in Oshakati and about to head off to visit with some of the other volunteers to celebrate - hope you all enjoy the weekend too!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

Hey! Happy Birthday! Keep up the good work!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

What's your address? I would write more, but I'm exhausted (first week of classes nonsense)
Take care. I'm sure you are doing fabulous things

Steph

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the Chico is not a lemon! and speaking of which i picked my first home grown one today.
Love Mum xxxx

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home